Joseph Q. Adams was born on December 17, 1927 in Dallas, Texas Joe was a 3rd generation Texan. His grandfather, Kenneth was the ranch foreman at the Box X ranch near Wichita Falls, Texas and his father Joe Adams worked 45 years for the A. Harris Company in Dallas, Texas.
Mr. Adams graduated from Adamson High School in Dallas and attended Texas A&M. When he turned 18 years old, he left college and joined the United States Navy and served on the U.S.S. Crownblock in the Pacific at the end of World War II. After the war ended, Joe returned to Texas A&M where her earned a degree in Mechanical Engineering and was commissioned as a First Lieutenant in United States Air Force.After pilot training, he served in the Korean conflict and left the Air Force after serving as a Squadron Commander at Carswell Air Force base in Ft. Worth, Texas. After serving in the AirForce, Joe worked for American Airlines in Dallas until he transferred to Tulsa with American in 1958. Joe earned his law degree in 1964 from the University of Tulsa College of Law in the night school program while working at American Airlines.
He was especially aware of the importance of the McClellan-Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System to the region, andwas proud to serve for 26 years on the Board of Directors of the Port Authority for the City of Tulsa-Rogers County Tulsa Port of Catoosa.
During his 42-year career as a lawyer, Joe served as the City Attorney and later as the Municipal Judge in Catoosa, OK. Legal Aid of Northeastern Oklahoma recognized him in 1990 as the attorney of the year. Before retiring in 2003, Joe served 14 years as a Trustee for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma. For his many contributions to the development of the City of Catoosa, Joe was recognized in 1985 as the Catoosa Citizen of the Year.
The Waterways career of Paul Revis began on the Arkansas River while a student at Arkansas Polytechnic College at Russellville. His first assignment was work as a summer student in the Hydraulics Branch of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (COE) Little Rock District in 1958. His next assignment was as a Co-op Student of the Little Rock District surveying on the Arkansas River. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering in February of 1962 from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.
Immediately upon graduation, and after being commissioned a Second Lieutenant in U. S. Army COE, he was ordered to active duty for two years. He then returned to the Little Rock District for a year of Rotational Training in varied functions of the Little Rock District involving the River Project.
His first permanent assignment as an engineer in the Little Rock District was to the Structures Section of the Design Branch in the Engineering Division in 1965. He served as a structural engineer and as a member of the design team for the Joe Hardin and David D. Terry Locks and Dams.
Mr. Revis registered as a Professional Engineer in Arkansas in 1971 and earned a Master of Science in Civil Engineering degree at the University of Arkansas Graduate Institute of Technology at Little Rock in 1974. He then transferred to the Navigation Section of the Navigation and Maintenance Branch in the Operations Division of Little Rock District in 1973 and subsequently was designated as Section Chief and Chief of the Navigation and Maintenance Branch. With Navigation being a new function to Little Rock District and a 9-foot deep channel having not been previously established, there were a myriad of tasks undertaken by the District to make modern commercial navigation a practical reality.
Mr. Revis worked with local media representatives, waterway organizations, and users to promote use of the navigation channel. He subsequently published a comprehensive brochure describing the characteristics of the navigation system and supported the annual navigation conferences and annual navigation inspections. He worked with waterway users and U.S. Coast Guard to develop high flow navigation procedures that resulted in the existing dike marker system and high flow regulations. Paul participated in developing the justification and design concepts for construction of Montgomery Point Lock and Dam. This involved close coordination with other elements in the District, Southwestern Division, Lower Mississippi Valley Division, environmental groups, landowners and waterway users. He retired from the Little Rock District in November 1993.
Concurrent with duties at the Little Rock District, as a member of the reserve for 30 years, he became a graduate of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College and U.S. Army War College Senior Reserve Components Office Course. He was discharged as Brigadier General in 1993.
Following retirement from the Little Rock Engineer District in 1993, he was selected to be the Executive Director of the Arkansas Waterways Commission. He served in this capacity until 2001 and was involved in numerous waterways associations including serving as President of the Arkansas Oklahoma Port Operators Association, President of the Arkansas River Basin Development Association, Board of Directors of National Waterways Conference, Board of Directors of Inland Rivers Ports and Terminals and member of the University of Arkansas Professional Advisory Board of the Mack-Blackwell Transportation Center.
Most recently, for a year or two, he was involved in the Charles D. Maynard project at Lock and Dam #5 in Jefferson County.
Jon R. Stuart was born in Oslo, Norway. He was educated in the Tulsa Public Schools, Culver Military academy, Oklahoma University and The University of Tulsa.
Mr. Stuart has become a prominent fixture in the Tulsa business community. He is currently chairman of the board and chief executive officer of First Stuart Corporation; a Tulsa based family investment company, as well as Managing Partner of Jon R. Stuart interests LLC, principally in the energy business.
He was appointed to the City of Tulsa - Rogers County Port Authority Board by the Mayor of Tulsa on October 4, 1985 and is still serving. He served 6 years as Port Authority Board Chairman (1992 - 1997). The Port's new Maritime Park is named for Mr. Stuart, and is recognition for his service and accomplishments as a member of the board.
Mr. Stuart has also served on the Board of Trustees for the Falcon Foundation in Colorado Springs, Holland Hall School, Philbrook Museum of Art (Chairman 1997-98), the Tulsa Foundation, Bank One Oklahoma, NA, and the Boston Avenue United Methodist Church. He is director emeritus of the Thomas Gilcrease Museum Association and the Committee of 100-Tulsa, Inc., and is the Tulsa chairman of the Edna Gladney Home in Fort Worth. He was appointed to the Oklahoma University Board of Regents by Governor Frank Keating in 2002, for a seven-year term, and reappointed by Governor Brad Henry for an additional seven years.
He is the Royal Norwegian Consul for Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas, as appointed by His Royal Highness King Harald VI of Norway. In addition, Stuart was presented with the Norwegian Distinguished Service Award.
Wilbur C. West of Pine Bluff, a manufacturer of agricultural implements, early on recognized the importance of the McClellan-Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System to the region--and especially to the agricultural community. He was a longtime community leader, and one of the initial appointees to the Board of Directors of the Pine Bluff-Jefferson County Port Authority at its formation in 1963.
Wilbur West was intimately involved in the initial development of the 372-acre Harbor Industrial District at the Port of Pine Bluff. Initial development in the District included utilities, streets and rail. A 20-acre public terminal that would offer barge loading and unloading was also developed. West served as Pine Bluff-Jefferson County Port Authority Chairman from 1972 until 1975 and was an active board member from its information in 1963 until 1991. The Port Authority's initial development of $3 million in the Harbor Industrial District has stimulated another $50 million in investments and more than 500 jobs for the Pine Bluff area.
Mr. West attended Ouachita Baptist College in Arkadelphia and graduated from Purdue University in 1939 with a B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering.During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps including 2 years as a pilot instructor in heavy bombers. In June 1942, then First Lt. West was a co-pilot of a B-24 Heavy Bomber during the first U.S. bombing raid against German and Romanian forces in the Ploesti Oil Fields, causing major damage. His plane, low on fuel, was forced down in neutral Turkey, where the stranded crew eventually flew out to Cyprus and a returned to their unit. For his heroic deed, West was awarded the Silver Star for "Gallantry in Action" in what became the first American bombing raid on Europe in World War II. But lost records prevented West from receiving the medal until April 2001 when Congress, thanks to the efforts of his daughter, June, bestowed the belated recognition.
He remained a dedicated and enthusiastic aviator for years after World War II, often provided aerial inspections for the Pine Bluff-Jefferson County Port Authority, flying prospective industrialists over sites along the Arkansas River in Southeast Arkansas. He was inducted into the Arkansas Aviation Hall of Fame in November 2003.
Mr. West over the years has been active in numerous businesses, civic and church boards of directors, and for decades farmed cotton, rice and soybeans in Southeast Arkansas where he saw the McClellan-Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System as vital to the economic development of the region.
Return to Hall of Fame Index